Sunday, August 9, 2009

The Little Mermaid

This was my first attempt at sculpting modeling chocolate. It has the same "moldability" as clay, but not the same strength. I first had to construct the figure of Ariel out of wire and rice krispies, then covered that in modeling chocolate. I was fairly happy with the majority of the mermaid, but could not get her face the way I wanted it! Once the modeling chocolate is warm from being in your hands, it is extremely easy to manipulate, to a fault. The slightest movement could cause the whole face to mess up, so after 45 minutes of working on it, I decided I had better "let it be" than risk messing it up even further! The seaweed and water were all made from buttercream, and I topped off the blue water with blue sparkles. My sister got me new alphabet cutters (my old ones were horrible!!), and they worked perfectly for this cake! I dusted each letter with pearl luster dust (a very subtle and shimmery, completely edible powder) and like the looks of it so much that I coated the rest of the bubblegum pink fondant with it, too! The inside of the cake was my absolute favorite cake and filling combination-strawberry cake with chocolate ganache.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly that love and read more on this topic. If possible, such as gain knowledge, would you mind updating your blog with additional information? It is very useful for me. customized chocolate singapore

    ReplyDelete